135 N. Bellefield Avenue, Room 704
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
I am an Assistant Professor in the School of Information Sciences in University of Pittsburgh. My research broadly spans the areas of Distributed Systems and Privacy including Big Data and Cloud Computing. Our recent work addresses the challenges of Provisioning Cost-optimized and Privacy-conscious services in the Cloud with a specific focus on MapReduce-based Big Data processing. Prior to joining University of Pittsburgh, I obtained my Ph. D. degree in Computer Science from Georgia Institute of Technology under the supervision of Prof. Ling Liu
I am looking for self-motivated and dedicated students interested in my research areas. If you are interested in pursuing research under my supervision, please apply to our graduate program. You may also contact me for any questions you have related to my research. I would be happy to discuss if you have read one or two of my papers and have some specific research ideas that you are interested to pursue.
· Ph.D., Computer Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, Aug 2008 - Aug 2013
Thesis title: Cost-effective and Privacy-conscious Cloud Resource Provisioning: Architectures and Algorithm, Advisor: Prof. Ling Liu
· M.S., Computer Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, Dec 2009
· B.Tech., Computer Science and Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, June 2006
· MobiMix: We develop a road network based mix-zone framework to protect location privacy of mobile users traveling on road networks. In contrast to spatial cloaking based location privacy protection, the approach in MobiMix is to break the continuity of location exposure by using mix-zones, where no applications can trace user movement.
· PrivacyCloud: The PrivacyCloud framework addresses the concern of protecting the anonymity of aggregate results in Cloud data analytics where aggregate information itself becomes sensitive. We develop a new class of cryptographic anonymization schemes which deals with anonymizing graph datasets to protect utility at different levels such as graph structure, aggregate information and individual associations.
· Purlieus: We develop a locality-aware resource allocation framework which first categorize MapReduce jobs using a data-size sensitive classifier using four data size based footprint. Purlieus then provisions virtual MapReduce clusters in a locality-aware manner, enabling efficient pairing and allocation of MapReduce virtual machines (VMs) to reduce the network distance between storage and compute nodes for both map and reduce processing.
· Cura: Cura is a MapReduce Cloud Resource management system which in contrast to existing MapReduce cloud services, aims at minimizing the overall resource utilization in the cloud as opposed to per-job or per-customer resource optimization in the existing services.
· VNCache: To address the network and storage bottlenecks in Cloud Datacenters, we developed an efficient filesystem layer VNcache that integrates a virtual namespace of data stored in the storage cloud into the compute cluster. With VNcache's accurate pre-fetching and caching, jobs often run on a local cached copy of the data block significantly improving performance.
· INFSCI 1074 – Computer Security (Fall 2013)
· INFSCI 2150 – Information Security & Privacy (Spring 2014)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "Attack-resilient Mix-zones over Road Networks: Architecture and Algorithms" to appear in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC 2014). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh and Ling Liu, "Cost-effective Resource Provisioning for MapReduce in a Cloud", to appear in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (IEEE TPDS 2014). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Shicong Meng, Yuzhe Tang and Yang Zhou, "Anonymizing Continuous Queries with Delay-tolerant Mix-zones on Road Networks", Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD 2014). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "Effective Mix-zone Anonymization for Mobile Travelers”, Geoinformatica 2014. (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Nagapramod Mandagere, Gabriel Alatore and Ling Liu, "VNCache: Map Reduce Analysis for Cloud-archived Data", Proc. of 14th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (IEEE/ACM CCGrid ’14) (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Ling Liu and Bryan Langston, "Cura: A Cost-Optimized Model for MapReduce in a Cloud", Proc. of 27th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2013). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Sindhuja Ravichandran, Ling Liu, Binh Han and Kisung Lee, "Road Network Mix-zones for Anonymous Location Based Services", Demonstration at 28th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 13). (Pdf)
· Kisung Lee, Ling Liu, Binh Han, Balaji Palanisamy, "ROADALARM: a Spatial Alarm System on Road Networks", Demonstration at 28th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 13). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Aameek Singh and Yuzhe Tang, "Location Privacy with Road Network Mix-zones", Proc. of 8th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (IEEE MSN'12). (Pdf)
· Shicong Meng, Arun Iyengar, Isabelle Rouvellou, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Balaji Palanisamy and Yuzhe Tang, "Reliable State Monitoring with Messaging Quality Awareness", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (IEEE Cloud' 12). (Pdf) (Received Best Paper Award)
· Kisung Lee, Ling Liu, Shicong Meng, Balaji Palanisamy, "Road Network Aware Spatial Alarm Processing", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS' 12). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "MobiMix: Protecting Location Privacy with Mix-zones over Road Networks", Proc. of 27th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 11). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Ling Liu and Bhushan Jain, "Purlieus: Locality-aware Resource Allocation for MapReduce in a Cloud", Proc. of IEEE/ACM Supercomputing (SC' 11). (Pdf)
· Yuzhe Tang, Ting Wang, Ling Liu, Shicong Meng, Balaji Palanisamy, "Privacy Preserving Indexing for eHealth Information Networks", Proc. of 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM' 11) (Pdf)
· Mustaque Ahamad, Douglas Blough, Ling Liu, David Bauer, Apurva Mohan, Daisuke Mashima, Bhuvan Bamba, Balaji Palanisamy, Ramkumar Krishnan, Italo Dacosta, and Ketan Kalgaonkar, "MedVault: Health Professional Access to Source-Verifiable Patient-Centric PHR Repository", at poster session in 19th Usenix Security Symposium, (USENIX Security' 10).
· Priyanka Prabhu, Shamkant B. Navathe, Stephen Tyler, Venu Dasigi, Neha Narkhede, Balaji Palanisamy, "LITSEEK: Public health literature search by metadata enhancement with External knowledge bases" , in workshop of 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM' 09 ) (Pdf)
· Apurva Mohan , David Bauer, Douglas M. Blough, Mustaque Ahamad, Bhuvan Bamba, Ramkumar Krishnan, Ling Liu, Daisuke Mashima, Balaji Palanisamy, "A Patient-centric, Attribute-based, Source-verifiable Framework for Health Record Sharing", GIT CERCS Technical Report No. GIT-CERCS-09-11, 2009, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA. (Pdf)
· N.Sreenath, N. Devendra and Balaji Palanisamy, "Dynamic Routing of Reliability-Differentiated Connections in Optical Burst Switched Networks", in Proc. Managing Complexity in a Distributed World, IISc Centenary Conference, (MCDES' 08). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, T.Siva Prasad, and N.Sreenath, "Traffic Adaptive Wavelength Routing in IP-Over-WDM Networks", in Proc. 14th International conference on Advanced Computing and Communications, (ADCOM' 06) (Received Best Paper Award)
· N.Sreenath and Balaji Palanisamy, "An Online Distributed Protocol for the Restoration of Connectivity in the Virtual topology after Link failure in IP over WDM networks", in Proc. International conference on Networking and Services, Silicon Valley, (ICNS' 06) . (Pdf)
· N.Sreenath , Balaji Palanisamy, and S.R.Nadarajan, "Grooming of Multicast Sessions in Sparse Splitting WDM Mesh Networks using Virtual Source Based Trees", in Proc. International Conference on Systems and Networks Communication, (ICSNC' 06). (Pdf)
· N.Sreenath and Balaji Palanisamy, "A Two-Phase Distributed Reconfiguration Algorithm for Node Failures in IP-Over-WDM Networks", in Proc. International Conference on Systems and Networks Communication, (ICSNC' 06).
· Balaji Palanisamy, "PeerTalk: A Secure, fully Decentralized Peer-to-peer Instant Messaging System", in Proc. International Conference on Information Security, (ICIS' 05)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Aameek Singh, "Locality-aware Resource Allocation for Cloud Computing", United States Patent Application No. 13/481,614
· Journal Review:
o IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, IEEE TPDS
o World Wide Web Journal
o Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, JPDC
o ACM Transactions on Database Systems, ACM TODS
o IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, IEEE TSC
o Wireless Networks Journal
o ACM Transactions on the Web, ACM TWEB
o IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE TVT
o Journal of Grid Computing
· Conference Program Committees:
o 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE CLOUD 2014
o 21th International Conference on Web Services, ICWS 2014
o 15th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, IRI 2014
o 2nd International Workshop on Collaborative Big Data, C-Big 2013 in conjunction with Collaboratecom 2013
· Conference External Reviews: WWW 2013, ICDE 2012, ICDE 2011, ICDE 2010, ICDM 2010, ICDCS 2011, MDM 2012, MDM 2011, MDM 2009
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
135 N. Bellefield Avenue,
Pittsburgh, PA 15260