Up: Informative Interface
Previous: Rationale for the
An informative interface provides the user with sufficient
information at all times. By sufficient information we mean;
- Instructions should be distinguishable from data.
- The user should be able to distinguish optional from required entries.
- The results of user actions should
be visible in the interface without delay.
- Acknowledge user input and progress, indicating
percent done or hourglass while waiting, and showing
changes immediately after.
- Echo user entries instantaneously.
- The user should be able to identify all the data displayed.
- The interface should provide information on how to continue.
- Display all available/valid options.
- Display continuing page indicator.
- The user should be able to determine the settings of all
the dialog parameters.
- Have an indicator displaying the application/system status.
- Display transaction type.
- Show the units for each variable in the heading or
the label associated with it.
- Show default values.
- Show correct input format/syntax.
- Indicate length of field.
- Display heading on each page.
- List heading defines list.
- Display headings on each page.
- Keep display uncluttered.
- User should be able to access help at each stage in the process.
Mon Nov 27 18:39:52 EST 1995